Tuesday, June 28, 2016

God Does Not Need You to be Right


  As long as the church has been around, its members have fought. There are multiple instances in the New Testament where its writers address the quarrels that have sprung up among the believers. In the two thousand years the church has been around, not much has changed. Christians still disagree over many things. Those disagreements lead to arguments. And arguments usually do not lead to the resolution of the disagreement in question. They usually end by infuriating those involved.
  There is, in all men, a deep-seated desire to be right. While it at times springs from a passion for truth or a love of justice, it more often than not stems from pride. In his book Mere Christianity, C. S. Lewis says of pride, "There is no fault which makes a man more unpopular, and no fault which we are more unconscious of in ourselves. The more we have it ourselves, the more we dislike it in others." Pride is ungodly, and it is ugly.
  Christians are allowed to disagree. They are people and so it is bound to happen. However, Christians are supposed to be known by their love for one another. This means, if they must disagree, they have to do so civilly. While there is certainly a fair share of examples of violent disagreement among church members, believer's squabbles tend to be polite.
  With those polite squabbles, there are many times when believers disagree on rather unimportant things. And they walk away from their disagreement believing they are right and the other is "Oh so wrong!" Then they will chalk the other's short-coming up to a lack of good theology, or weak spirituality, or ignorance, because naturally, they are superior. Not through any merit of their own, of course, but because God has seen fit to show them that much more grace. When it boils down to it though, they are right, and the other person is wrong.
  There are times, when I think I need to be right to prove that God is right. And I do not need to be right, because God does not need that from me. He needs me to follow Him. To obey and honor and glorify Him and love Him with every fiber of my being. But He does not need me to prove anything to anyone for Him. If anything, He needs me to open to the possibility that I am wrong a lot of times, and that others might be right. Being a Christian means kicking over my holy cows, loving God with all my heart and loving my neighbor as myself. All at the cost of my pride. And many times at the cost of my being right

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading, I appreciate it! Leave me a comment if you don't mind and let me know what you think.