Thursday, July 21, 2016

Something New


  I have hated dishes for many years. I will not try and soften that sentiment by saying I strongly disliked them. I hated doing the dishes and there is no way around that fact. In the past, I have written an ode to my hatred of dishes and said that people who claim they like washing dishes are liars. That was very immature of me.
  In spite of my hatred of dishes, I find myself doing them quite often. In my family, we siblings trade chores in the kitchen from week to week. One week, my responsibility will be to wipe off the table and counters; the next week I will be in charge of sweeping. And, of course, sooner than later, it will be my turn to wash the dishes. While I will do the dishes when it is my job, I will be sure to let everyone around me know that I am not enjoying the task before me.
  Last week, my turn to do dishes came around yet again. I decided, this time, that I would try something different. Lately, I have been convicted about complaining while I wash the dishes. Whining about dishes is not constructive, or uplifting, and it is definitely not godly. So last week, every time I went to the sink to wash the dishes, I kept my mouth shut. Complaining does take effort, and I figured I would put that effort into finishing my task.
  I also prayed. In retrospect, I could have prayed to find washing dishes enjoyable, but I did not. I just prayed that God would allow me to get the dishes done quickly and that He would control my mouth. God did both of those things. He also did more for me than just keep my mouth shut. By His grace, He helped me to see I genuinely have no reason to complain about doing the dishes. They are a part of life. While they may not be fun, they are certainly not awful. Then are plenty of far harder things I could be tasked with doing.
  I still dislike dishes. Maybe I should now pray that I will like washing them. But right now, I am happy to see that hatred softening, by the grace of God. Perhaps I will one day come to place where I relish washing dirty plates and pots and pans. Or perhaps, in my bumbling humanity, I will completely reverse any progress made in my attitude towards dish-washing. At the end of the day though, I was reminded that God is more than willing to help me in every aspect of my life. And He is so ready to pour His grace on me. Even in something as mundane as dishes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading, I appreciate it! Leave me a comment if you don't mind and let me know what you think.